Topic: Was (2026 release from The Tangent) on Bandcamp

Posted
by Mike
Poll

What do you think of their decision to only sell physical copies?

Fine! I welcome it, screw digital copies. Buy first, then listen! 1 vote · 20%
Sad. They should at least offer some samples to listen to. 0 votes · 0%
Terrible! They should make it available as a free listen, like 99% of Bandcamp artists do. 4 votes · 80%
Other (please elaborate) 0 votes · 0%
5 voters
You need to sign in to vote.
Mike
joined
posted

Anyone else finds it seriously annoying that they only sell the physical copy on the Bandcamp page? Nothing to listen to, not even samples.

Seriously, what a dick move. Also kind of ironic, since the album was "released" on Bandcamp Friday yesterday.

Of course every artist is entitled to decide how to market and sell their music, but I cannot think of any upside here ... everybody loses.

Mike
joined
posted

Update: It is now available as a download on one of its Bandcamp pages, but still no way to listen to any track before purchasing.

rushfan4
joined
posted

They are a "bigger" band who are in the music business to make money. Honestly, it makes no sense to me that so many artists allow all of their music to be streamed for free. "Why buy the cow if she is giving you her milk for free?" I think that the better model is to either allow 30 second samples or to allow the "single" to be streamed for free to account for what used to be radio play to bring the band/song/album to the consumer's attention. I think that Cuneiform has the right music model.

Mike
joined
posted

Agreed, a single is the old-school way to promote the release. But even most Cuneiform releases can be streamed on Bandcamp.

rushfan4
joined
posted

I don't think most Cuneiform albums can be streamed on BandCamp. Most of them I see might allow for 2 or 3 songs to be streamed but not the entire album.

Mike
joined
posted

Most of the ones I’ve seen at least, and I’ve linked hundreds of them. But of course it might have changed since then …

rushfan4
joined
posted

Also, I don't know what the shelf life is on selling albums these days but if I was a musician in the business of selling my music, I would probably do something like only selling physical product until that shelf life has in theory ended (Say 6 months or a year). After that time I might allow the entire album to be streamed. Or the other option would be to allow them to purchase the digital songs for 99 cents or $1.29, which seems to be the new going rate. If they want to sample the entire songs, then I would go with the old "jukebox" method by allowing someone to stream each song for an amount like a quarter a listen. If they decide to buy the song, then the purchase price could be reduced by the 25 cents.

rushfan4
joined
posted

Mike wrote:

Most of the ones I’ve seen at least, and I’ve linked hundreds of them. But of course it might have changed since then …

Maybe since they are a US company, they only let US listeners to stream a few songs? I'm not sure. I also know that the only place these albums seem to be available for streaming is on Bandcamp. I usually can't find them on many of the other streaming services.

Mike
joined
posted

^ yes, no Cuneiform on Spotify.

You need to sign in to post replies.