Topic: Improvements: Ratings, Modifiers/Styles

Posted
by Mike
Mike
joined
posted

Making a few more changes that hopefully won't disrupt you too much:

  • There's now an additional subjective rating you can submit when you feel that your subjective rating differs a lot from a rating that assumes a general audience. This replaces the objective/subjective distinction and hopefully makes it a little easier for everyone, both users not interested in the distinction (probably the majority) and those of us (including yours truly) who want to use it occasionally, when rating a guilty pleasure or, in the opposite direction, a release that we really can't stand but we know that it's actually quite ok.
  • I want to retire the "old" tag editor tab soon. I had already pulled the genres and modifiers to the genre tab. I've now moved a lot of other tags into the modifier group, where it made sense. For example, the "heavy" tag used to be in the Styles group, it's now in the modifier group, since it really works well as a genre modifier (it forms a more descriptive genre with the base genre, such as "Heavy" + "Neo-Prog" = "Heavy Neo-Prog").
  • I know that it's currently annoying to jump back and forth between the two tabs (genre and the old tags editor), working on moving everything to the genre tab so that we'll have only two tabs left: The ratings and general info, and the genres and tags.

What do you think? The remaining changes are mainly "cosmetic", to improve the UI.

bartyMJ
joined
posted

All sounds reasonable

Mike
joined
posted

^ The most important factor is whether it is easy and pleasant to use. Always let me know if something feels clumsy or awkward.

👍 1
bartyMJ
joined
posted

Just to check - since you put the option of objective or subjective in, I was choosing subjective by default as that seemed the most appropriate following our discussion at the time. Now the change back to a single initial option has happened I have noticed that everything I've rated over that period subjectively now doesn't contribute to an album's overall score (and in some cases I'm the only person to rate it). Any suggestion what I should do going forward?

Mike
joined
posted

Yes, that part is pending - will fix it soon, probably this evening. Thanks for reminding me!

🤘 1
bartyMJ
joined
posted

Also, the generally quite good new system for genres and modifiers does now mean I can't tag something as "Chamber Folk" at the moment which is a pretty established subgenre I think

Mike
joined
posted

Fixed both. Added Chamber Folk and Chamber Jazz as genres, and the subjective rating is now used when no objective rating is set, albeit at a lesser weight when computing the combined result. Still thinking about how to best display it (e.g. show users that the rating is subjective, or how objective and subjective ratings compare).

bartyMJ
joined
posted , edited

Cool thanks Mike. I did spot in the banner display that those I've rated subjectively have a slightly 'faded' colour but I guess that's a personal thing and depends on the chosen colour scheme, but that does seem good as a subtle difference,

Guess I'm still not really convinced by the objective/subjective thing and the relative value of each but I can at least say I would make sure to use the subjective one when it's obvious to me my rating is mainly based on dislike for something common in a subgenre.

Mike
joined
posted

I'll experiment with objective/subjective ratings today to see whether the distinction is helpful (to me). We'll see!

You need to sign in to post replies.