Topic: New Genre Tab

Posted
by Mike
Mike
joined
posted

During the past two weeks I added a few new genres. This marks a departure from my previous approach of rejecting "composite" genres like Avant-Prog or Neo-Prog in favor of combining these from simpler tags (like Avant, Neo, Prog and Rock).

What do you think? You can still use the old editor, but please try out the genre tab. Eventually (probably at some point during October) it will replace the old genre selectors.

This tab also introduces "phases", which depend on the genre you select and relate to the year of release, for example for progressive rock from the 70s you can opt into the "Classic" prefix., or for releases from the 90s or newer you can opt for "Retro" or "Modern".

Fercandio46
joined
posted , edited
(content removed)
Fercandio46
joined
posted
I understood and really liked some of the new sections—such as the ability to choose between various genres (like blues or folk) and specify whether they were the classic styles of the past or ones reimagined through new influences. However, regarding other features—like those highly specific, beta-format timelines—I only grasped a few of them; consequently, the genres aren't organized the way they used to be, and I can't figure out where to find them now.
Mike
joined
posted

Which genres do you have trouble finding? Examples help me understand the problem :-)

Fercandio46
joined
posted
When I go into Coordinates Beta—specifically "Repetition vs. Development"—which side is which? Would repetition be on the left and development on the right?
Mike
joined
posted

Repetition is left, development is right. When you select a value it will say what you chose (e.g. 20% development).

Fercandio46
joined
posted

Thanks Mike!

rushfan4
joined
posted

I'm starting to think that I am going to have to go back to college and get a degree in musical theory in order to continue using your site. LOL

Mike
joined
posted

The musical coordinates are definitely optional … that’s why they’ll remain on a separate tab. For musical nerds 🙂

You need to sign in to post replies.