| bartyMJ joined | |
|---|---|
This is great to see, partly just to see what functionality changes there are, but mainly just to show how much hard work clearly goes into keeping this going. Thank you Mike for all your effort 👍 1 | |
| Mike joined | |
Thanks! I’ve acquired a crafty assistant, enabling me to do most tasks much, much faster than I ever could do on my own. ❤️ 1 | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Always handy! I'd offer my services but its a long way from my area of expertise, took the wrong engineering route in life! | |
| yamyam joined | |
The site has been behaving somewhat strangely for me over the past few days (I suppose it's since these changes were introduced), and I was wondering if you might want to investigate. I don't ever log out of AP, and usually when I go to https://awesomeprog.com/pa/chart/crossover_prog I can immediately change the section statuses of artists under evaluation using the dropdown arrows and hidden menus in the left hand column. Now, however, these arrows are absent until I navigate away from the page and then back again, at which point they reappear. Instead of being underlined in blue text with the dropdown arrow next to them, they are in plain green, just as they are in the history section on the right. Then there is the strange situation that see when I look at my profile: https://awesomeprog.com/users/yamyam. Although I am logged in, and the page shows that I added an artist just yesterday, the page also says: "joined over 13 years ago, last seen 5 days ago". Something is obviously not quite right there. These strange irregularities aren't preventing me from doing what I need to here, but I just wondered what might be causing them. Any ideas? | |
| Mike joined | |
Which browser are you using, and have you tried refreshing the browser window and/or logging out and then in again? | |
| yamyam joined | |
I'm using Chrome, Mike - and I don't need to refresh the browser window to get the dropdown arrows to reappear, just navigate away to another tab in the same window, a windows explorer folder that I've got open, or an app that I'm running, and then back to the AP tab. About half a second after I return to the AP tab, the drop down arrows then magically reappear! It's weird, and never happened to me before until about four days ago. I just tried logging out and back in again, but that has changed nothing - I'm still seeing "joined over 13 years ago, last seen 5 days ago" when I visit my profile, and no drop down arrows on the Crossover Team page until I've navigated away from, and then back to the page. | |
| Mike joined | |
Thanks for the info! Will look into it. Has anyone else experienced this? | |
| Mike joined | |
I installed an update that should fix the stale views, but probably not the last seen info - working on that. 👍 1 | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
I will actually counter myself above - I probably couldn't do loads but I would be happy to occasionally try and support with some of the "basics", e.g. the duplicate artists or simple errors, if it would be difficult for me to break the site in doing so! Equally no issues if that's politely declined :-) | |
| yamyam joined | |
Whatever you did has fixed both issues, Mike, so thanks a lot for looking into this! 👍 1🤘 1 | |
| Mike joined | |
Awesome! During the last two weeks we have been rewriting most of the central “wiring”, so there are a few glitches here and there. But once fixed, it will be a more stable foundation for things to come. | |
| yamyam joined | |
Another possible glitch, this time regarding album cover art, Mike. You posted in the 'What's New' thread a couple of days ago that releases without cover art now have a “Request cover art lookup” button, and admins get a dedicated page listing all requested (and otherwise cover-less) releases with the lookup tools built right in. I just added a Bandcamp link to Dallton Santos's Abstract Minute album: https://awesomeprog.com/releases/82841, which was added to AP by Uwe about 10 months ago, and no cover art was imported, whereas the addition of Bandcamp and MusicBrainz links always used to result in the cover artwork being automatically imported. Is this a deliberate change of policy, or due to a bug that's been inadvertently introduced as a consequence of the introduction of the “Request cover art lookup” button? | |
| Mike joined | |
Yes, we are restricting the cover art import to musicbrainz to honor bandcamp’s terms of service. That’s also why we added the upload form, so any user can upload covers how they see fit. | |
| yamyam joined | |
So is it still okay for us to upload album cover artwork images manually from Bandcamp - even though we don't own the image, or have permission from Bandcamp to do this - as mentioned in the note below the upload form (where it also says: "You must not upload images you do not have the right to share")? None of us own or have permission to upload album cover artwork images from anywhere really, so I'm a bit unsure as to whether using this upload form is something that adheres to those guidelines at all. Please advise further. :) | |
| Mike joined | |
In a nutshell, the only clean way for a community-driven website to support user-uploaded media is to put the onus of clearing the rights on the uploader. If any rights holder ever takes issue, what will happen is that they can ask for offending images to be taken down, which we will do. It is a standard mechanism, and we’ll try to improve the wording to make it less intimidating :) In general our strategy for cover art is to mostly rely on musicbrainz / cover art archive. So user-uploaded cover art will be useful for the rare cases when a great album is not available there … | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Just in case this was missed. no drama either way! | |
| Mike joined | |
I saw that post and then didn't find it again - sorry, there's so many changes I am coordinating at the moment. Sure, any help is welcome! I'll make you a "curator", which basically means that you can edit artists and releases. There will be a small icon to the left of the preferences link in the top navigation that you need to click in order to see those editing inputs. Will make this more obvious going forward :-) | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Bad timing for me to go on holiday and not log in for a week! Sorry... Ok, will check that out as soon as I can and make sure I can't be too dangerous! | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Have corrected some of my own spelling mistakes and have been adding Discogs links/extra albums for artists as I browse - hopefully without causing problems! 👍 1 |