| anonymous user | |
|---|---|
Due to the limitations of this site, I cannot properly link the Bandcamp release to Boris's Droneevil, as it is broken into separate releases on Bandcamp - Drone and Evil https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/dronevil-final-disc-drone https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/dronevil-final-disc-evil' I'm also making Dronevil - example - a separate release, as a compilation (of the two dronevil discs) https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/dronevil-example | |
| anonymous user | |
also, does the separation of the two discs make them their own EP on Bandcamp? | |
| Mike joined | |
I would file this under ”stupid things artists do” … they can live with the ”penalty” of having this duplication in the discography ;) | |
| Mike joined | |
Yes, to me these are two EPs and one compilation combining them. | |
| Mike joined | |
Looking at Spotify and other outlets, this seems just like a failure by either band or label to publish these as EPs on other platforms than Bandcamp. Somehow they managed to publish the "example" disc, but not the others. It's not the fault of any sensible database architecture ... any release should have one (1) bandcamp page where it can be found. If artists cannot adhere to that simple rule (which works for millions of other releases), then they bear the consequences :-) | |
| anonymous user | |
having the discs separated on other streaming platforms doesn't make sense; they're intended to be played at the same time, that's why the combined version is on the streaming platforms, but the separated ones are on bandcamp for you to download and mix yourself. it's Relapse, they know what they're doing. they're not eps, it's a single album broken into separate parts. i know you're not into weird concepts, but that's what this band does. i only brought it up for the sake of organization as you have it on this site, but they're NOT eps, neither in practice, officially, nor technically. also, i hate streaming platforms. doesn't bother me in the slightest. i also don't understand why anyone would prefer to stream on Spotify when Bandcamp exists, unless you're gen x and need a streamlined app for everything. wait until you find out that Boris's crown jewel, Flood, has not been officially released on ANY digital platform. Tool didn't even put their albums online until like 2019. | |
| anonymous user | |
also, Soundtrack from Film "Mabuta no Ura" is not a soundtrack https://awesomeprog.com/releases/19151 It's a full-fledged album with the concept of being a soundtrack for a film that does not exist | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
"also don't understand why anyone would prefer to stream on Spotify when Bandcamp exists" Far easier to use Spotify for searches, shuffling and recommendations. And particularly while driving, which I unfortunately have to do a lot of. And sorry artists, I have no where near the income available to buy all the individual albums I like, but I can use the money I'd spend on one album on Bandcamp to subscribe to a whole month's worth of streaming of a full library even if some things are missing from it. I can live with some things being missing from a particular app. | |
| Mike joined | |
That's not the point, I generally like weird stuff. My point is that these concepts break all typical database structures for releases, so bands doing this have to live with the fact that their work is poorly represented on music websites.
They are redundant additional releases. Compilations in a sense, since they only contain previously released tracks.
Most releases are available on Spotify, only a small subset are available on Bandcamp. Besides, Bandcamp is not a streaming platform in that sense. One needs to purchase releases on Bandcamp in order to stream them indefinitely. I mainly use Spotify, for mostly practical reasons. Might move to Google (YouTube) though, since it provides all the tracks plus the videos (without ads). I'll also purchase my most favorite releases, and I also have iTunes Match - if all streaming platforms including Bandcamp stopped working tomorrow, I'd still have all my favorite music.
Which means that most people will get it through other means, and only a very small subset will pay. Their choice! | |
| anonymous user | |
you could also store no browser cache, accept no cookies, block most trackers, and disable browsing history on your browser, like i do, and you basically have infinite bandcamp plays lol | |
| Mike joined | |
^ That's a lot of inconvenience for the illusion of anonymity ;-) | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
And a lot of effort to manipulate small-time artists out of their meagre earnings.... |