Topic: The Churchill's/Jericho

Posted
by Deleted Account
anonymous user
posted , edited

https://awesomeprog.com/artists/7576

https://awesomeprog.com/artists/2748

First, please make "The Churchill's" primary name as below

צ׳רצ׳ילים

(Tzyertziylim - Churchills) [no apostrophe, since ים (im) is masculine plural rather than possessive]. Under Jericho Jones, they are הצ׳רצ׳ילים (HaTzertziylim - The Churchills) and their current/retroactive name.

Second, I'm adding the Jericho Jones album Junkies, Monkeys, and Donkeys under The Churchill's because it was credited as the same band in Israel in its original release (you can see both Jericho Jones and HaChurchillim on the cover art here) but stopped calling themselves The Churchill's after relocating to the UK, shortening their name to just Jericho the next year.

Jericho was the incarnation of the same band based in the UK, so the location for that one should be United Kingdom. However, most sites would group the Jericho Jones album under Jericho, not The Churchill's, but I disagree with that move. To be honest, I think Jericho should be merged with The Churchill's, and kept under Israel, since that's their origin, and the name amended to "The Churchill's or Churchill's/Jericho or Jericho Jones." On my offline log, I'm using הצ׳רצ׳ילים/Jericho Jones, though using "Churchill's" in my album artist section of my digital library.

On these two compilation albums, The Churchill's and Jericho Jones are listed together as the same band, but Discogs groups Jericho and Jericho Jones together as Jericho Jones, while separating The Churchill's as an alias (The Churchill's and Jericho albums are on separate pages, but Jericho Jones is on both):

https://www.discogs.com/release/2985539-Churchills-Jericho-Jones-Churchills-Junkies-Monkeys-Donkeys

https://www.discogs.com/release/13378310-Jericho-Jones-2-Churchills-The-Complete-Churchills-Jericho-Jones-Non-Album-Singles-Rarities-Oddities

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1456528-Churchills

https://www.discogs.com/artist/515961-Jericho-Jones-2

I think Musicbrainz has the idea, one band, three names:

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/59f5e2af-251d-4aac-8b0d-6b8b74c69dcf

Wikipedia also does it like that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Churchills_(Israeli_band)

Basically, in Israel they were, and still are, known as "Churchills," or "The Churchills" and outside of Israel they were, and still are, known as "Jericho" or "Jericho Jones."

Whether or not there's a "The/ה" and an apostrophe in Latin is up to preference. I'd go with no to the first since they only used it on some releases, and yes for the second, since they always anglicize their name with an apostrophe

This is basically what they're going by now:

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/ef88b932-f484-4e6f-8113-053461f24fa3

"הצ׳רצ׳ילים" in Israel, and "Jericho Jones" outside of Israel

Though on their Facebook page they're going with Hatzertzilim Jericho (להקת just means "band")

https://www.facebook.com/Churchills.jericho/

The Jericho (Jones) alias was applied after Robb Huxley from the UK joined. The Hebrew wikipedia article for the album Jericho credits it as a Churchill's

https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho

Mike
joined
posted

I added the primary name for 2748. Other than that, I'm not really sure what you would like me to do ...

Mike
joined
posted

Ah ok, the second artist should be merged into the first (primary) one.

Mike
joined
posted

We can also link the artists now, so that they remain separate entries but one is included in the other's discography. Might that be a good solution here?

Mike
joined
posted

Maybe in this case, as you said, we should just merge them and "slash" their names together, since it's basically just a huge mess ;-)

anonymous user
posted

Well Jericho (Jones) and (The) Churchill(')s are the same band, but they're alternating their name between them.

Basically, the name in Israel they've stuck with is הצ׳רצ׳ילים (The Churchill's) and outside of Israel they've stuck with Jericho Jones. So I think "הצ׳רצ׳ילים/Jericho (Jones) [The Churchill's] is the best way to do it with the limitations of your site

Mike
joined
posted

I don't think that limitation (not supporting artist aliases) is that much of a problem - in fact, for the very few artists which have aliases it is actually clearer to include the alias in the name. Makes them look less appealing, but there should be a small penalty for them making it so complicated ;-)

Mike
joined
posted

Done! Merged the entries, please have a look.

You need to sign in to post replies.