| bartyMJ joined | |
|---|---|
I'm sure its been explained before (sorry) but just interested in how this functions at the moment. Is it picking up on personal choice or more generally users of the site? Am using it as intended to occasionally pick out something new to listen to. Currently the first album is the new one from Between the Buried and Me. So far I've rated four of their albums with a C, two Ds and an E. I am basically a mindless drone so I'll probably end up listening to it and rating it - doing my best to avoid pre-judging but it's hard not to be concerned given my general dislike of their sub-genre of the metal world has been highlighted on this forum before! | |
| Mike joined | |
Hi! Yes, the recommendations query does not use your ratings as an input. I'll look into improving this soon. In the meantime, in order to get better recommendations you can participate in the polls. You don't need to submit a poll list, but when you start a poll and select your favorite releases, the recommendations feature there will select releases with similar tags. | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Hi Mike, yes have used the poll-based recommendations a few times, is handy for 'new' stuff from a specific year for sure. Not sure if its more of a problem on my end or if it's just trying to draw on a lot of data but it does sometimes take a very long time to load | |
| Mike joined | |
No, it’s just a very time-consuming operation, linearly depending on how many releases you have selected as well as the scope of the poll. Will dramatically speed this up soon by pre-computing the data. | |
| Mike joined | |
Rejoice! I managed to implement major improvements for the recommendations, both in the "top bar" ribbon and the polls recommendations tab. Also for the "similar releases" tabs for each release. The computation is now cached in the database, so it should be rendered MUCH faster. The database is currently still indexing ... it will take another 24 hours until all the releases have data, so you might encounter some fluctuations. Let me know whether the recommendations which are shown to you seem useful to you! :-) | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Mike, you work fast! Will definitely keep an eye on things. Telling if they are useful I guess is much harder than noticing if they're not useful at all (which has never been the case) but will do my best. But at the moment on the top bar there's nothing that immediately from a description I have concerns about - the polls are still indexing but it loaded instantly so that's a start! Must be a very difficult balance, I suppose you don't want to be recommending against people's preferences, but at the same time plenty of people don't just want a narrow echo chamber | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
Hi Mike, some more feedback having now checked out the 'recommendations' on the polls pages. Looked at three which I've actually submitted a meaningful poll list for and have already interacted a lot with: 2025: Showing two recommendations, both 'similar to Mostly Autumn' 2024: Showing thirty-two recommendations, all of them 'similar to Crippled Black Phoenix' 1970: No recommendations at all For 2024 & 2025 the recommendation is picking up on an artist I've given an A-Tier rating to in that year but in both cases there are also plenty rated higher. Guessing some indexing hasn't quite happened yet but just thought I'd let you know that's what's popping up at the moment. | |
| Mike joined | |
^ Thanks for the elaborate feedback! I found a rather trivial error in my code. Please have a look, the recommendations make a lot more sense now! | |
| bartyMJ joined | |
No worries, glad you could make sense of my formatting which seemed to go a bit wrong! Certainly looks like its making sense now |