Topic: Ultra-specialized genres like Doomgaze ... thoughts?

Posted
by Mike
Mike
joined
posted , edited

Since I was asked to add "Doomgaze" - what do you think? These genre labels run counter to how the tagging system is supposed to work. I can understand why people would want to use them, but how can we achieve the best of both worlds?

The problem:

"Doomgaze" is obviously a combination of Doom Metal and Shoegaze. Even having "Shoegaze" as a genre is questionable, since it is really just Post Metal/Rock. Having these specialized genres is quite redundant, and it is cumbersome to assign both these specialized genres and the more generic, but also more descriptive tags. And assigning both leads to strange outcomes - for example, assigning "Doomgaze", "Doom Metal", "Post" and "Shoegaze" would lead to a genre label like "Post Doomgaze/Doom", which is confusing. I would have to implement a lot of complicated logic in the genre label generation to avoid this redundancy.

What do you think? I totally agree that labels like "Doomgaze" sound really cool, but going down that route leads to dozens of highly specialized genres ...

bartyMJ
joined
posted

The problem here is that shoegaze, as it originally was coined, is absolutely not post rock/metal. Shoegaze is based on distortion and a wall of noise but is actually usually based around pop song structure, and its first bands were in the late 80s here in the UK & Ireland (Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Lush etc.). None of these fit the criteria for post rock/metal being a lot more textured or sometimes ambient. After that, yes, there was a conflation/fusion with post rock etc. but they are absolutely two different things in origin.

You have blackgaze as an option, so seems logical that doomgaze is also reasonable - although in my admittedly limited knowledge of that area of music I guess the former is a much bigger and better known style.

anonymous user
posted , edited

Doomgaze isn't really "doom;" it's more post-metal/post-rock with a doomier approach to song progression (yes, it's portmanteau of "doom metal" and "shoegaze," but tagging post-metal genre with shoegaze and doom influence doesn't work as well imo as just doomgaze)

I'm trying to think of an album that would get both "doomgaze" and "doom," but really can't think of any... they're quite distinct.

You already have blackgaze, and I'd argue that blackgaze is more similar to black metal then doomgaze is to doom metal (and doomgaze and blackgaze are even closer to each other - check out the Ketoret album I recently tagged. I'd ultimately go with doomgaze on it, but I used to call it blackgaze).

anonymous user
posted , edited

[never mind, Faetooth is more true doom metal then doomgaze]

btw, can we get a "delete post" option here, please?

You need to sign in to post replies.