Topic: Please add neo-psychedelia under independent

Posted
by Deleted Account
anonymous user
posted , edited

We've had this discussion before and you seem pretty set on keeping" psychedelia" under rock, but I really don't understand the point of that, considering you can just tag "psychedelic" with "rock." It's totally useless, tbh. The point of adding the neo-psychedelia tag was to tag albums that are not centered around any other genres that are distorted, psychedelic, and atmospheric. It's a well established genre that is distinct from rock, and thus using the psychedelia tag which is currently under rock would not work for albums that are not rock, and is pointless when the psychedelic descriptor + rock already exists, and I really don't understand the logic of adding it in the first place. Psychedelia is not a genre, it's just the noun variant of psychedelic, and is redundant. Neo-psychedelia is an actual genre, though, and is not always rock. I also think the "neo" tag is also problematic on the site, because all the genres that have "neo" in it are unrelated to each other, and makes it so I have to pick between it and whatever other modifier I want to use, which is annoying when I want to use another tag like "retro." I'm honestly fed up with having to beat around the bush for every album that needs this tag and end up tagging it incorrectly, because the proper genre doesn't exist, and since this is a style I frequently listen to, it's becoming really frustrating to use this site for tagging. I'm probably just going to stop using the site all together until it's added, because it sours my mood and hurts the listening experience when I have to "be creative" and incorrectly tag it. If metal is separate from rock, than surely this should be, as well.

For reference, RYM has it as a distinct genre, separate from rock. This is the chart of neo-psychedelia minus rock (45 pages x 40 entries = 1800 albums on this chart alone): https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:neo-psychedelia/ge:-rock/ Here's one from the top of my head: https://youtu.be/BKkSpGHw-Yg

I'm at a stand still with the new Satellites album, when tagging the individual tracks. Yes, a good sum of it is Anatolian rock, but the rock here is largely separated from the more pop/funk-oriented neo-psychedelic sections, except for the heavier sections near the end of it, as if there are multiple things going on at once.

Mike
joined
posted

To me all of psychedelica is rooted in rock. Psychedelica is really a synonym for psychedelic ROCK. Neo-Psychedelica is new generations of bands playing in a similar style, but also of course adding other more modern features.

What is the difference between "psychedelica" and "psychedelic rock"? If I was to add Psychedelica as a main genre, it would be redundant with Psychedelic Rock (Rock + Psychedelic). My main argument against adding it is that it would lead to all sorts of specialised, redundant (main) genres entering the database.

Why is it so bad to have to select Rock and then Psychedelica? The tag badge will simply say "Psychedelica". Adding the Neo modifier will make it "Neo Psychedelica".

You need to sign in to post replies.